Sina Weibo

Thursday, March 15, 2007

[Kyoshiro To Towa No Sora]Novel, Prelude: Chapter II--Kaon's Helix (Part 10)

Lethe's Note:

I'll save my comments until after the story.

Please don't distribute without my permission.




PART TEN



That day. The day that Suukei accomplished her painting of me.

Suukei and I had a small celebration.

We cooked dinner together, opened up non-alcoholic wine, and decorated our place with wild flowers.
Chicken were stewed with mushroom on the oven, red candles lit up on the table.

The lead today is----"the painting of me".
This "Murakumo no Kaon" drawn by Suukei looks more like me than even myself.

So happily smiling Suukei.
"Please be my model again," pleading Suukei.
Wine-blushing red-cheeked Suukei. (Hey, wasn't it non-alcoholic? XD)
So many times of "Daisuki," confessing Suukei.
I...kissed her.

On our one month commemoration day*, I sent gentle kisses to her cheek and her palms. (*or mensiversary--this word hasn't spread yet but saying one month anniversary is just not acceptable for me = =)
When I embraced her, Suukei uttered "yes" then closed her eyes.

It was only a blinking moment, when lips touched lips tenderly, like two birds pecking.
It was only that...
Suukei fell to the floor.
Standing in front of collapsed her, I saw the same scene that had happened to me numerous times before.
When those girls supplied mana for my survival and became immobile.

I----hurt Suukei.
Something more terrible than the blur I know has smashed me into pieces.
It is an endless despair, deeper than the darkness itself.

Suukei's painful moan woke me to the reality.
--This isn't good.
If this continues, Suukei will...

I hastily held her and lifted her up.
Suukei gasped in pain.
"Kaon...chan..."
I touched her forehead--what a horrible fever.
Judging from the symptom, I alone cannot take care of it. Nor can any common hospital.
Without the best equipments, immediate and correct treatment, Suukei's life will----

Although my heart was in turmoil, my mind still came up with the most rational and realistic solution.
There was no time for hesitation.
Resolving the mana field, I held Suukei in my arms and left the atelier.
The fire in the furnace was still burning its read flaming, brightening the oil paint Suukei had drawn for me.
The golden days we spent together are irreplaceable.
However, there is--no way back.
Farewell, our paradise.
I clasped Suukei and rushed to the freezing-cold reality, to Asura's world*, where the master was waiting. (*Asura or Ashura, another term in Indian Mythology, one of a race of demons and giants, the same origin as the one in CLAMP's RG Veda. For more, check here )







(Part 10 fin)





After Kaon chan and Suukei (Himiko) first met (the beginning), spent days and nights together for a month (the development), now the story reaches its climax, that the two of them confessed to each other, and shared a mutual, sincere kiss.

Kaon chan, we know, has been waiting for this moment since they first met; Suukei, we don't know the exact time when she realized her feelings for Kaon chan are more than friendship, but I think it's safe to say it's sometime during this one month and not right on that day. This thrilling climax, however, is also the saddest moment for the poor two.

Since KnM, these two have not obtained a conscious, mutual happy kiss without something bad happening afterwards T_T Although this time it feels like a complete set-up. Why would it be OK for the first time happening a month ago, but not the second time? The explanation that the author put up for it is not satisfying for me: "Because we have encountered as we were supposed to, because this was the first, true, hearty kiss. That must be why I didn't lose to the fate of Absolute Angels. " As the second kiss would fit the description of "the first, true, hearty kiss" even better = =||| I would have explained it in some other way. For example, Kaon just consumed too much mana in that one month maintaining the mana field. It is especially anguishing as it's not even a long, deep kiss ...... However, no matter what reason it may be, given Kaon's identity, that was bound to happen, sooner or later. Probably, it has been decided from the moment Kaon prayed to her God.


It is also interesting to compare their kisses in the anime and the novel. See how Kaon chan is the one who starts every kiss in the novel, while Himiko initiates every one in the anime? That is what we call a PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)... (Kaon chan:Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket)


Only two episodes of anime left... may Kaon and Himiko/Suukei have a happy ending! I don't ask for much, just a scene of those two returning to the hut, Suukei drawing a nude picture of Kaon chan again!!!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha yeah totally agree with your comment about the second kiss depleted Himiko's mana. To think that the authors just made a lame excuse... sigh. Also, they left the fireplace burned just like that 0__0 luckily the house didn't get burned.

忘川 said...

Good to know I am not the only one to feel that :p
I totally forgot about the fireplace ;) Judging from the end of the anime, I think somehow that place was intact. Kaon was quite amazing to put it out even in that situation, wasn't she :)