Sina Weibo

Thursday, November 12, 2009

KOOZA by Cirque Du Soleil

Great show.






This is the 3rd show I see of Cirque Du Soleil's, after the "O" and the world tour "Corteo". This show returns to traditional circus arts but combines creativity in the ways to present them.


Where I was seated was the 3rd row from the front on the side, but for the 360 degree (almost) view that wasn't a problem. Actually due to that, I had a really close view to some of the artists. The most impressive ones were definitely the contortionists and Wheel of Death; and the juggler was really amazing, the best of his kind I've ever seen. This young show compared to the other ones I've seen is not perfect--there was one missed catch in Wheel of Death and a few not-so-stable landings in Seesaw around the end. However, throughout the show the crew has been engaging, enticing and entertaining. The three female contortionists were breath-takingly inhuman (in a positive way)--I've seen contortion shows but they were usually slow and careful, but this one's fast-paced, rhythmical and beyond imagination. The costumes also showed nicely every part of their bodies. The Wheel of Death was daring, passionate and creative, I felt my heart was going to jump out every round they flew in the air--- without safety ropes. It is also unpredictable on how the 2nd person gets on the wheel, and when you are still astonished by their in-wheel performances, one of them goes out on top of a wheel! The dynamics and physics of this idea are also intriguing. The juggler could put 9 loops in the air in the same time; his speed throws and control of timing and strength were so skillful that I felt he'll continue forever and nothing would ever fall out of his reach.

The trapeze and the double wire acts totally made me think of Kaleido Star. The trapeze artist was a blonde wearing red,--so reminding of Layla's golden phoenix. The high wire were done by 4 guys who, even had a sword fight on the wire! Again, reminding me of Layla and Sora (oi, enough of you Otaku XDDD)...


I would recommend it to anyone who can go to Santa Monica beach to watch this show. It would be a dazzling experience, just like it was for me.


No comments: