Sina Weibo

Thursday, June 1, 2006

Anime Boston Report (Part One)

Time:5/26-5/28/06
Location: Hynes Convention Center, Boston
One-sentence comment: exciting, costing, yet to be improved

First I have to apologize for writing this in English, --I swear I was writing it in Chinese first but it turned out somehow really weird to myself ="= Maybe it is because the whole thing happened in English... well, people! Think of it as a perfect chance to learn English! Here's the time!!!

I had to confess that I was totally exhausted after 3-day convention, as if I had been fighting a non-stopping battle for too long. I didn't even have the strength to sort out my loots ^ ^; However, I am only getting busier and busier, so I better write the experiences down now, before I forget them...

After all, it had been a satisfying success. 3000 more than estimated, 10,000 people joined Anime Boston 2006, to the organizers' surprise. And it is certain that it will grow even more next year. It is true that this con is still just a half size of AnimExpo in LA or Otakon in Baltimore, but its events (Anime Music Video contest, masquerade, Japanese guests) are all of the same level. I'd definitely go next year if possible.

Cosplay/Masquerade:

To my (not-so-pleasant) surprise, the cosplay subjects have not changed much since the last time I've seen, which was like 2 years ago. Naruto, Full Metal Alchemist, Final Fantasy series are still the hottest. There are other various characters in Slayers, AMG, Soul Calibur III, Hellsing, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Sailor Moon, Gravitation, Kenshin, RGUtena, CCSakura, Kingdom Hearts, Paradise Kiss etc etc. However, there have been rea~~~~lly few yuri characters :((( The only one I've seen is Juri from Utena...I usually see quite a few Utenas flowing around in each convention but not this one :( I see no one cosplay characters from Kannduki no Miko, MariMite, Mai HiME; not even from Kaleido Star, which has the entire first season out on DVDs already. That was very disappointing...(what? you say I should do it? I didn't hear didn't hear didn't hear......)

AMV contest:

Result is here

Well, it's just like any other AMV contests I have seen. There were 5-6 AMV in each of the following categories: Drama, Fun/Upbeat/Other, Romance, Comedy and Action. What made me happy was that Key the Metal Idol and Kaleido Star both have been made into AMV and entered the first and second categories. Also, there were two excellent Chrono Crusade AMVs in Romance category. Comedy session was, as expected, funny and fulfilling. However, the one that totally captured my heart was an action AMV, "Hold Me Now" from Princess Tutu (an anime I never knew)--all about ballet! It's just so beautiful I hope that I can find it and show it to all of you ^_^
-----------Wait, I actually found it on youtube!!! Here it is, please watch it in full screen with no lag and good audio system :)
Hold Me Now

And Yes! it is the best action and best AMV of Anime Boston 2006. I voted for it you know!!! When they announced the result after the masquerade I was super excited "Oh Yes!!!" XDDD I was so happy--I am still so happy about it :)

A few other small things about AMV competition. I actually met the maker of Key the Metal Idol AMV in the Japanese Guest interview (later I will talk more about it), as I was sitting right next to him and noticed his name on his badge. He is probably the only Chinese-origin competitor in this AMV competition, majoring in computer science :))

I also got the best drama right, too--it is funny how I tend to choose the anime I haven't watched ^_^

When they played Chrono Crusade AMV again, (both won a prize actually) at the moment the crowd reviewed the very moving Hallelujah song, people lighted up their cell phones and started waving them according to the rhythms and sing together with it. Just when I was fully absorbed in this atmosphere, on the screen the lovers were holding each other and the sunset was falling, I was starting to have wet eye sockets, and then......someone's cell phone rang right beside me... ______________________Orz

Dealer's Room:

This is the part that sucked the most in the entire convention. Yes, it is ME who went to ATM twice and still spent everything on herself except for two dollars. Yes, it is ME who had been drooling on Nastuki's limited 1:6 swim-suit figure, or Mai, Kirika's 1:6, or Saber's 1:8 non-fighting figure, but look! Seriously, this is one of the worst dealer's room in a convention I've ever seen. Three days past without any freebie at hand? That's a first. Only 2 big dealers had booths in the hall, although 3 or 4 more had their preview sessions that I didn't go to. Anyway, it sucked; I hope it can become better next year, with such increased attendees.

In the next part I am going to talk about my most exciting experience in Anime Boston 2006-- the interview (Q &A?) session with Shimamoto Sumi and Shuzilow.HA and the signature session with Shimamoto san. Maybe a little bit on the yuri/yaoi dating game, too :p Otanoshimini~

Attached: Anime Conventions in USA and Canada

No comments: